PROJECT-11 WEEK 4

What is the best way to deal with Microaggression?

Thesis

My thesis will eventually be about the best way to treat microaggression. The question I want to answer is “what is the best way to fight microaggression?” By this I mean is it more effective to educate the masses on the psychological trauma that comes from microaggression in an attempt to educate individuals on how their actions affect others, or should attention be focused more on therapeutic methods for those who are victims of regular microaggression. the second question.

Related to Psychology

The cognitive process I would like to focus on is microaggression. More specifically I want to understand what causes microaggression, how do the populations affected by microaggression behave as a result, and what methods of treatment are most effective when dealing with microaggression.

Socially Relevant

Given the country we are in race is always a relevant controversial topic. To the best of my current knowledge microaggression is the result of racial discrepancies and therefore it is socially relevant. The outcome I am looking for by the end of this project is to create a medium for people to become more aware of the effects of microaggression and how everyone can contribute to reducing their aggression toward another group or their ability to defend themselves against this abuse.

Contribution to the Field

I have not heard of microaggression until I looked it up and through my research this issue has only come to the light in the last few years therefore ways in which to address it have not been discovered. What I want to do is see if there are any methods of therapy for individuals who struggle with microaggression and implement a way to have them treat themselves through virtual therapy. In essence it would be similar to virtual reality for PTSD patients—a fairly new treatment—for individuals having difficulty dealing with microaggression. What is unclear yet is if it would be for those who display microaggression toward others or those who are on the receiving end of the aggression.

Personal Interest in the Topic

Since I am a black male I am in one of the minority groups who deal with microaggression, racism and other forms of racial discrimination this topic I personal. I hope to at the very least gain a deeper insight to some of the issues my people deal with. Another reason why this is interesting to me is because I plan on treating late adolescence/early adulthood minority groups and microaggression maybe something they deal with regularly.

This entry was posted in Project 11 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.