Project 16: Week 4

Thesis

dt_140627_body_image_eating_disorder_800x600

In the upcoming weeks, I will be designing a game that will focus on a cognitive process and socially relevant.

The research project must relate to Psychology.
The cognitive process that I will be studying is perception.The only process that seems to be affected is perception. People with Body Dysmorphic Disorder have a distorted image of their own appearance. There is not a term for addiction but there is a psychological disorder that contributes to surgery addicts. There is not a term for the addiction, but there is a recognized psychological disorder that affects some surgery addicts. It is called “body dysmorphic disorder” (BDD), and sufferers have a distorted image of their own appearance. This is sometimes manifested as disapproval after surgery is performed, leading to another surgery to correct the apparent flaws. Because of the high costs of plastic surgery, this disorder is usually apparent only in the very wealthy.

The research project must be socially relevant.
There are a few people who are addicted to surgeries and are constantly going back into surgical rooms. Then there is a large population who suffer from body dysmorphic disorder. This study is socially relevant as I want to avoid that larger population of people to fall into those surgery addicted individuals.

The research project must be original work that has not been done in the field yet.
It will address the problem that teens are not content with their image and that they should learn to appreciate and accept their bodies so that they do not become surgery addicts. Journal articles such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Veale (2003) show that mirror gazing and constant comparisons are many of the forms of time consuming activities that these people face with. It also shows that they see their bodies as distorted. Many of these articles show that bullying and abuse can lead to this. I would want to properly inform these patients with BDD about the risks of falling into the category of those who go through many surgical procedures.

The research project must interest you.
I believe this research interests me because there are a lot of beauty standards in this generation that are affecting the way young children and adolescents perceive themselves. Many of them have low self esteem issues. I would like to see what affects people to become surgery addicts.

Thesis
It is predicted that the larger population who is affected with body image issues and BDD are less likely to fall into the category of small population who is addicted to surgical procedures if they are more aware of the cause of their body image issues.

This entry was posted in Project 16 on by .