Project8 Week4

United States has implemented the common core standards, which will aim to better prepare students from K-12 for higher education. Children in Elementary school are required to learn to add, subtract,multiply and divide. Children in Middle school have to learn ratios, rates and proportional relationship. Meanwhile in high school children are required to solve equations. Not only are students required to learn and practice for common core in school, but making the learning environment more fun and engaging for students to learn may help them be encourage in practicing for common core test. A digital educational game is a great way to improve students memory and critical thinking in problem solving.image
The cognitive process am studying is memory and critical thinking. I want to see if designing an educational math common core digital game can help improve a student memory and critical thinking by playing a game. When building memory, it goes through a series of 3 components; attention, storage and memory. Each of these components will have an affect in a student’s learning.

Socially Relevant and Unsolved Problem:

My study is socially relevant, because it may help teachers and parents have social interactions and collaboration with the student. Students will also be able to build social skills, this will lead to thinking critically and working on their memory as they get involved in an educational math game. This will help children enhance their performance in state test.
The unsolved problem my study will address is whether a math common core game will enhance a child’s memory and critical thinking. Will teachers be able to use an education game to improve a student’s performance in Math common core?. I believe there has not been a lot of games in the industry that may have been related to a state test, that students can use at school and from home.

Career, Goals & Interest:
This project relates to my career, goals and interest. I am pursuing to become a childhood education teacher, I believe often children get unengage during class after a while of teachers teaching. There has been many new ways to engage and improve a student learning. Recently New York State has contributed a Math Common Core exam, that students are required to take to in order to be considered for the next grade level. Teachers in school put a lot of effort to help students improve their performance. Not only teachers but also parents. Often students are contributed Coach or Kaplan workbooks, students are to go over it and practice. I believe a current way to improve a student learning is by playing educational games. An educational game can help improve a student’s performance in the Math Common Core test and keep them in engaged.
In United States the Common Core Math test has been one of the exams that many children are not doing so well in. Having the opportunity to be able to design an educational game for children is a great way to help and improve their performance. Teachers, parents and students will be able to have full access. Especially parents, they will be able to use an educational game from home, to help their child. I have a great interest in a game design that will help students memory and think critically in problem solving. I currently have a little brother who has taken the common core test and often I have seen there has been a lack of interest in working with workbooks for a period of time.
My goal is to design a game that will help not only my brother but other students to improve their memory and critical thinking through a math game. It will be a great way to overcome their struggle. Pursuing a degree in childhood education, I have had an interest in using technology within a classroom setting , such as educational games.

This entry was posted in Project 8 on by .