FA16-Project10-Week 16

As the projects come to an end, I believe my project was efficient and effective. In the beginning, I was unsure about whether any improvements would be shown, considering for the first few weeks of playing my game the results just seem so bland. As the weeks went on and the days slowly passed, the results started to show. Major improvements were eventually happening. Even though those with long term memory was more successful at this game, those who had short term memory showed a drastic change the last week, where the males tied with the females. That’s the first time that has ever happened.

My results support the thesis, because in my game I had 4 participants.All participants were asked to answer a set of questions at the end of each week to evaluate their progress. Each participant’s  questionnaire score was averaged using a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 indicating that the individual had a more positive result based on how well they concentrated. The control group, which consisted of the two participants who received little to no questioning after watching the film, demonstrated no improvement during the 1 month session. At first boring films were shown to the first experimental group to see how long it would take before they become distracted. Both participants with high attention span scored top notch from the beginning of the experiment. Those with high attention spans were able to retain information faster than those with short attention spans. They were strongly attentive. The experimental group in which participants had to watch videos and were sure to be asked questions afterwards showed little to no improvement. The highest score for these particular individuals only managed to come out to a 2 to 4, which meant the individuals were either bored by the films shown and had no interest. Progress for these participants was much slower compared to the individuals who had high attention spans. Those with high attention spans were able to pay attention no matter what. Those who had short attention spans were distracted easily, making it harder for them to retain information. Throughout each week this game has been played, those who had short term memory showed signs of improvement. Yes, they still had trouble answering questions based on the movie Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, but they were capable of getting more question correct every week. The last week of this week, both males who had short attention spans had tied with the two females who have long attention span. Each participant from these two groups tied with the other person from the other group. One male got 9  questions  correct, while one female participant also got 9 correct. One male got 11 questions correct, and the other female got 11 questions correct. This week both participants who have short term memory showed major improvement. By these individuals playing this game, it did prove that games do have a way with holding ones attention and keeping them interested, especially if they are competitive.

This work can be related to other studies because I am trying to find a solution to how having a short attention span or a long attention span can affects one life. This study relates to real life because for example, if you are a journalist, you have to make sure the work you are publishing is facts, because if it’s not, you can be sued. This game does exist as an economy, because the people are playing a role in deciding whether having a long attention span or a short attention span should determine how much information one truly memorizes. The ability to stay focused is an important factor. This can go under working in reality. In the work place you need to be very attentive to what you are doing. Picking the correct video for both the control group and experimental group would be a challenge. If you pick a movie that’s interesting and what those with short attention spans may like to watch along with if the participants already seen that specific video , it can cause problems leading to defective results. A boring movie shown can cause one to get frustrated easily and lose concentration skills. Another challenge is convincing the audience to support you. The skills a character and player must learn or master is being themselves being completely honest with the answers they give. They must master a skill known as memorizing information so they can answer the questions asked to them correctly.  Some problems that are still remaining, is if you switch up the questions in different orders would those with short term memory still recognize the questions, even if you aren’t going in order. How effective is the game? Future problems also consist of what do you do when the game ends in the tie. Do you have a tie-breaker?

One thing I noticed continuously throughout this whole game making process for my game was how computers were always being used. Computers were always seen as the main source to test attention spans, to see which brain functions would activate, and to test memory. After see the improvements in my game, I feel more card games and board games can be used.  Having someone constantly be at the computer can cause many different feelings, such as anxiety, frustrating, and also when one does go back to play that same game their improvement can have a sudden decrease. I feel board games and card games can be efficient, because they are testing both attention span and memory. Even if one results stay at a steady rate, decreases, or increase, you know the results aren’t being manipulated.  I think more card games and board games should be used and not just computers. There is only so much computers can do after-all. PSY 200 Data-Memory Questionnaire

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 10 on by .