Project 11-Week 1

This week I played a game names Dying in Darfur. It was a very easy to play game that highlighted the struggle the individuals living in Darfur have to go through. The most interesting aspect of the game compared to the other games I have played is how the education is integrated into the game. To be more specific when you have to leave the village to gather water every time you select a character it gives you a little information on how that character will be effected by leaving the village. If you choose the adult women or children it tells you what would most likely happen to these individuals if they were to be captured by the Janjaweed militia. For the adult male you are unable to even take this character out of the village because of the value of an adult male being alive in the village compared to the likelihood and consequences he would suffer if he were to be caught. It opened my eyes to the dangers and choices these people have to make on the daily bases without feeling forced.

This entry was posted in Project 11 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.