FA16 Project 7: Week 4

Attention cognition is a type of cognitive process in which a selection is made for external (the 5 senses) or internal (thoughts) measures that need to be retained at a specific level of awareness. My study is socially relevant because around this age, many teenagers pay attention to the wrong things. Most people pay attention to their phones, drugs, and not the main priorities like school and family. Being aware of what is and isn’t important is critical for not only your sake but for your loved ones as well. Sometimes teenagers are brought up a certain way and act against their upbringing because of what catches their eye. Most time teenagers face certain obstacles like ADHD, in which attention is a daily struggle and reminder of how difficult it is to be aware of their surroundings. The unsolved problem my study will address is that why how can we as young mature adolescents figure out a way to stop ADHD.  This project interests me because I have a very close friend who has ADHD and though it is a struggle for him to remember or pay attention to a person talking or him or his phone ringing, he finds it in his mind to figure out what he should do. If I ask him a question, he would answer, yet sometimes the question would be unanswered purely to the fact that he would overlook the fact he was asked a question.

Thesis: ADHD can negatively affect school work and extracurricular activities when treated with prescribed medication.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 7 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.