FA16-Project 10-Week 9

My game is called Attention Span of a Snail or Speedboat?. During this week I started to rebuild my experiment and realized there is a chance my results may end up not changing at all throughout this experiment. In total 16 subjects were used. There are four main subjects. Two subjects were being tested on how well their attention was being sustained after playing games. The other two subjects, who had no involvement in games, their attention span were also being tested. 6 subjects were asking the 4 main subjects questions, while the other 6 people were audience members. The primary objective of this is to see whether those who have short attention spans can maintain the same focus and concentration level, compared to those who have long attention spans.

Picking the correct video for both the control group and experimental group would be a challenge.  If you pick a movie that both groups know then it’s obvious they would get every question correct that’s being asked to them. This can lead to defective results. The subjects  must master a skill known as memorizing information so they can answer the questions asked to them correctly. This game exist in an economy. For example, in the work place you need to be very attentive to what you are doing. For example, if you are a journalist, you have to make sure the work you are publishing is facts, because if it’s not, you can be sued.

All players mainly have to do is answer the questions being directed to them afterwards. The aftermath would be interesting if in the end those with long attention spans and short attention spans ended up getting the same amount of questions correct.  It’s a fair game, because you get to see how focused or how easily distracted both parties can be once they are put to the true test of answering questions. Participants in one group were presented films to watch and afterwards required to ask questions, while participants in group two just watched films and weren’t required to answer questions. For the control group, those with long attention spans were asked to watch the same videos shown to those with short attention spans, except they were asked to refrain from answering questions, unless those with short attention spans were unable to. This is fair, because everyone has an even chance to answer the questions.  This is one of the easiest game ever to play in my opinion.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 10 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.