Project15-Week5

WEEK 5: Introduction and Bibliography

1. Topic of Interestimage 2

My topic is about the gene mutation MTHFR and what physical and cognitive effects it may have on an individual. I recently got diagnosed with this and I want to see if there is a connection between the symptoms I have and studies that have been done.

1. Work Done in this Field

In the York College library website there is not a lot of studies done in this area. Majority of the studies were either too old to use, not peer reviewed, or did not have the full PDF. So I was left with very limited information. An article I found was about this gene mutation and migraines. The background to Samaan et al. study:

“Migraine is a common disorder that often coexists with depression. While a functional polymorphism in methyleneterahydrofolate reductase gene (MTHFR C677T) has been implicated in depression; the evidence to support an association of MTHFR with migraine has been inconclusive. We aim to investigate the effect of this variant on propensity for migraine and to perform a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies of MTHFR and migraine to date”

So in this study they have found that migraine and depression are associated with the                   gene mutation MTHFR.

1. What needs to be done/ Questions
  • Since there are not so many studies in this area is this valid information?
  • Is the gene mutation the only factor? Did the participants in the studies have any other health issues that could also be the cause?
  • Are the participants coming from the same places or is it random?
  • I have to find more research to gain as much information to back up my research.
  1. How I will fill in the gaps
  • Find more research
  • Use what I know from my own examinations
  • Find out what triggers this gene mutation?
  • By having this can it lead to people becoming addicted to drugs/alcohol?
  1. Thesis

It is predicted that gene mutation is associated with migraines and depression which leads individuals to become alcohol dependent.

This entry was posted in Project 15 on by .