Link

Can playing video games before an exam improve your test score? In my research paper I will try to prove if game playing affects your score on an exam. The cognitive skill that would be relevant to this is your memory and visual skills. I have read that playing some video games may enhance your performance with certain things, for example I read that “Call of Duty” may improve your vision.  My hypothesis is just an assumption. I will test it out by doing research and read articles and also test it out with some students. In this analysis there can be 2 outcomes. One, a student improves his or her test score. Two, the student can get a bad grade after the exam. With stating this hypothesis I am going to have to do a thorough research.

Will playing a video improve my test score before an exam? With all these games that state that they may enhance our memory, develop better motor skills, and help with vision. It could be quite possible that video games may help us out before an exam. It might ease your anxiety and stress that most of us college students have before an exam. I was reading an article that states that video games have helped with stroke victims as well. After some articles stating that video games have helped with certain situations it made me question, can it help us get a better grade on exam.

The second outcome is that a person might not do well after playing a video game. Everyone has a different attention span, and sometimes is not able to hold in so much information. So playing a video game may hurt this person’s ability to get a good grade. Also I do feel depending on how much time is consumed playing this game before an exam will have impact as well. Some people get into these video games to much and it consumes their lives. So even if they did study for some hours, if they are consumed in this game they might have forgotten what they have studied.

In conclusion, to support my hypothesis I must have a lot of evidence to support this theory. Just reading articles on how much the brain is stimulated when a person plays video games put this thought in my head, how this may affect our grades. In my experience playing the video games for the assignments in class have also shown me that some of these games are educational and gets your mind thinking and going. So if these games can do that, why can’t they help you stimulate your brain before an exam? I also think the outcome may be different depending on the person and how their brain reacts to video games, and how these video games may affect their cognitive skills. Some people are visual and this may affect the way they memorize things because instead remember words they save the images they studied in their brains. I believe this also may have an effect on what their outcome might be after playing a game and taking a test. It will be a bit hard to determine since everyone’s attention span is different. In the end of my research I would like to determine if my statement was true or false.