FA16-Project 10-Week 5

While working on the introduction and bibliography for my project I have learned a lot and found myself questioning the topic I have chosen. Most articles I read have talked about the detrimental factor of playing video games. This made me ask myself is age a main factor when it comes to attention span or is the type of game being played the major factor. I believe the main factor is the game being played. When you are little, you will have trouble focusing, because little kids tend to get distracted easily. The type of game being played is the main factor I believe. I believe the game is the cause for attention deficiency. Some games takes more time and effort before you reach victory status. Some games may also contain hidden secrets or hints. Two questions I came up with is, does it depend on a certain age whether a kid suffers from a shorter attention span? Does attention span deficiency depend on the game being played?

In terms of replication, some kids would be playing video games, while another group of kids would be without video games. In the end you can test whether or not a child grade went down academically or went up. You can also test to see how long a child can pay attention for before they get distracted. My study can help, because it can give a little insight as to whether age is the problem or the games being played is the problem. This study can also help parents be aware of the situation and take charge. Parents can put limits of how much video game time their child gets. They can help their kids by putting a restriction on the type of games their child should play as well.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 10 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.