fa16-project13-week 8

This week I tested out the game called Ice Cream Phrase, with 2 children. One child is 2 years old with speech delays due to excessive ear infections and tubes put in her ears. The other child is 6 years old, and is perfectly healthy. The reason I put the six-year-old to play with the 2-year-old is to see if the 2-year-old would feed off of the six-year-old. The game is pretty simple and the cards are colorful and the pictures on the cards are vibrant, the words are also large. I am not expecting the two-year old to read the card, but more to look at the pictures and associate the word with pictures on the card and the game board. I had the children play 3 times to see if the younger child would grasp anything while playing with the other child. The reason I didn’t play with the 2-year-old, is because I feel children who play together tend to pick up what the other child is doing. At first the two-year old was confused about the game, but picked up as the game progressed and she saw how the other child was playing. I would say this would be reinforcement learning where these children are feeding off each other to succeed in the game.

The 2-year-old was also amazed by the colors and associated colors with the words as well, when she saw red she automatically said apple because the picture was of a red apple. The child also tried to repeat things the older child was saying even though it wasn’t her turn. By the third try the children had the concept and the game became easier. The 2-year-old was repeating some words that she had never said prior to this game.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 13 on by .