fa16-project-13-week 10

I used a total of two subjects. My two and six year old daughters. My daughter that is 2 has delayed speech, due to countless ear, and throat infections, she has her tonsils, adenoids, and tubes put in her ears. Since this surgery her speech has developed better, but she still needs help with her speech. Seeing this made me want to develop some kind of game to help her. My game Ice Cream Phrase will not only help here say words better, but also help her with reinforced learning through her sister. The game consist of index cards, and a game board and game pieces, the object of the game is to say the item correctly that is on the card and place your game piece on the board, whoever gets to the ice cream and cake first wins the game.One condition of the game is that if they can’t pronounce the item or say it incorrectly they lose their turn and the other player is able to take the turn and move their piece. By doing this i believe that the other child will hear the word and want to say it correctly the next time. I had the children both play 3 times, to see if the 2 year old would be able to pronounce more words with this game. The first game the child said 6 words correctly, but did repeat words as the other child said the items on the card. By the end of the third game the two year old said 13 words that she could never pronounce before. After seeing this i was very impressed and felt like this game was helpful for the child and her speech skills.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 13 on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.