Project8- Week 14

Subject:
How the game will be tested in classroom (york):

A group of four will play the game to see whether or not the game was successful. Based on their opinion, I will take it to consideration to make some changes, to how the game can be played and be better.
My population of interest are NYS elementary students. My sample is to choose one elementary school from each borough. (Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island). It will be a total of 200 students being tested and 100 students testing the game. Based on a math category. The experimental group are the students playing the game and testing their achievement, My control group are the 100 students that are not playing the game and testing on how well they do with regular testing strategies. The way I will go about recruiting the students is one elementary school from each borough will be tested. For each school 40 random students will be elected, a mixture of 4th and 5th graders. 20 students will test the game in the school and 20 will not. The 20 students who do not, will focus on regular teaching strategies used in class to learn the math lesson.

Apparatus:

This game will mainly focus on developing critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills, students will need to be successful. For example the category of math can be fractions. Students will work on fraction problems. Fractions is broad topic that is difficult to learn among young children. The difficulties lies between conceptual and procedural knowledge. Students will focus on numerators or denominators as separate number rather than thinking of the fraction as a single number. Another difficulty is children identifying the procedure and how they came up with the answer, The material that will be used to design this game are the Common core standards 5.NF.A.I (adding and subtracting fractions), 5.NF.A.2 (solving word problems).My experimental group will be using the game to improve on fractions and my control group will be using their notebooks and pencil for regular teaching strategies used to learn

Procedure:

I would like to know whether my control or experimental group is effective for children to learn and have a clear of understanding of math problems. I created a competitive game platform. Where children are to get to the finish line before the other players do.

This entry was posted in Project 8 on by .