FA 16 Project 6 Week 6

The experiment that I will be conducting will  observe the cognitive process of memory. My subjects will be 6th graders between the age of 10 and 12 who are in an ESL class taught by a specific teacher thus it will only be available to those students. The ethnicity of the students will be a mixture of Spanish, Middle Eastern, and African American just to name a few.  I will create a table top game in which it will test the students memory of vocabulary words. The students will have a few minutes to study the  list of  vocabulary words including the definitions. They will then have 2 minutes to match the words with the appropriate definition and vice versa. If they receive a special card then the  subjects will have to give the spelling of the word in order to get points. However, if they fail the spell the word correctly then they will lose a turn.  After the game is over the team with the most points wins the game and although they are not getting paid they will receive extra points in the class.  The effects of this game will be tested against the score the students receive on an exam in order to determine if there was any improvements in memory thus confirming the thesis.

This entry was posted in FA16-Project 6 and tagged on by .

About Robert O. Duncan

I'm an Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences at City University of New York, with joint appointments in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience. I also have an appointment as a Visiting Scholar at New York University. My research interests include cognitive neuroscience, functional magnetic resonance imaging, glaucoma, neurodegenerative disorders, attention, learning, memory, educational technology, pedagogy, and developing games for education.